Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why I Oppose "Same-sex Marriage"


I am unalterably opposed to "same-sex" marriage.

Many people would read that statement and judge me as being an intolerant and hateful bigot.

Not guilty, your honors.

I do not hate, and have never hated, anyone because of their "gender preference". I have relatives and friends who fall into this category. What they do in the privacy of their own homes is their business, and none of mine. Therefore, to me, "nature or nurture" is immaterial.

I oppose "same-sex marriage" for the following reasons (not in any particular order):

1) I believe that widespread societal acceptance of "same-sex marriage" will inevitably damage the social fabric of our society and our civilization.

2) Same-sex domestic partners who register with the State of California are guaranteed the same beneficial, legal rights as heterosexual married couples under the California Domestic Partnership Act of 2005. Proposition 8, which would prevent the application of the label "marriage" to same-sex partnerships, will not change that situation at all.

3) I believe marriage between a man and a woman is an institution ordained of God. The fact that so many heterosexual married couples have failed marriages does not change that fact for me.

4) I believe that every child deserves to be raised by a mother and a father. Individual circumstances sometimes make this impossible. Still, a mother and a father each have important, and distinct, roles to fill in raising a healthy child. Nevertheless, Proposition 8 will have no effect on current adoption policies and practices.

5) I believe that institutionally teaching a young child, without the permission of that child's parents, that "same-sex marriage" is normal and natural should be criminalized.

6) I fear that the legalization of "same-sex marriage" will lead to curbs on my personal freedom of expression, and on the corresponding freedom my Church now exercises under the protection of the federal Constitution. I sincerely hope my fear turns out to be irrational.

7) I have read every page of the California Supreme Court's opinion legalizing gay marriage. I am no lawyer, but as a layman, my fundamental difference of opinion with the Court is that I fail to see a constitutional "right to marry" in either the California or U.S. constitutions. Marriage is a societal institution that FAR predates either document; one might rationally argue that it is above their purview.

I welcome any reasoned, principled, respectful discussion of these issues. People who foam at the mouth can talk to my hand.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Thanks for your well-thought out opinions...it's refreshing to view things worded in an original and new way. Great insights!