Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Prop 8 and Schoolchildren



I have listened to both sides of the Prop 8 battle concerning the issue of public school instruction concerning "same-sex marriage". I have actually read the applicable parts of the California state statutes.

It is difficult for me to fully accept the assertion that California schoolchildren will never be taught about "same-sex marriage" if Prop 8 fails, regardless of the parental opt-outs included in current state statutes. It is quite plausible to me that those statutes could change in the future if Prop 8 fails, as they did in Massachusetts when that state legalized "same-sex marriage".

This letter provides details of the legal reasoning behind my thinking. If any Prop 8 opponents want to comment on the contents of this letter, I'd welcome it.

No comments: