Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Worshipping at the Cathedral of Baseball

"I see great things in baseball. It's our game... The American game... It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us."

-- Walt Whitman



"Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains."

-- Crash Davis, "Bull Durham"




Angel tickets on the third base line at a sold-out game for my 53rd birthday: $0 (gift from my son)

Bag of peanuts: $5 (someone has to pay for Arte Moreno's retirement)


Dog and a bee...umm...diet Coke: $12.50 (someone has to pay for Mrs. Moreno's
retirement too)

Watching my beloved Angels put on a stunningly w
eak hitting performance and lose the ball game: Minor psychic pain

Watching a 28 year-old by the name of Chris Walters who, after NINE YEARS pitching in the minor leagues (and compiling an overall losing record there), made his major league debut tonight and held the best team in baseball to a single hit through eight scoreless innings: Major psychic pleasure

Chris Walters


Watching the boys of summer on a perfect evening with my eldest son: Priceless



No comments: