Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mr. Timely Strikes Again

I'm always just about ten full years behind the curve. Any curve. Fashion, markets, technology, you name it.

In excavating my garage, I came across a conglomeration of sports cards from the 80s and 90s. I carefully culled the stuff that might be worth something: factory-sealed box sets, autographed cards of famous players, etc. A cursory examination of Internet sites devoted to such things returned a possible retail value of $600 for my cullings.

Then a trip to the local E-Bay drop off and a visit to a sportscard specialty store (now bare to the walls) served as a 2by4 to the noggin. The market done gone!

Most of you prolly already knew that. But like I said, I'm ten years behind the curve.


It might be worth your while if you have any pre-1970 cards, especially rookie cards of now-famous players. The Mickey Mantle rookie card pictured here will net you a cool $300,000 if you can just find it in your garage muck.

Having been painfully and embarrassingly schooled, I'm off to see where I can buy some camo pants and an aloha shirt.

No comments: