Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fatal Distraction



As the investigation into the recent train crash in Chatsworth proceeds, authorities seem very close to concluding that the cause was human error; specifically, train driver error. What caused this horrific, head on crash that killed 25 people and injured 150 more?

Apparently, the train driver was texting on his cell phone when he should have been watching a red signal light and stopping his train.

My loved ones know that I, for years, have held forth long and loud about the reckless stupidity of those who talk on their cell phones while driving. They are tired of my rants about this behavior, despite the evidence to the contrary. I'm such a curmudgeon on this issue I even put a sign in the rear window of my car saying, "HANG UP YOUR PHONE OR YOU'LL KILL US BOTH". (My wife was mortified.)

Our illustrous state legislature in California thought they could solve the problem by passing a law requiring hands-free phoning while driving. As usual, they screwed it up--study after study shows that hands-on or hands-off, it's the CONVERSATION that distracts. Your brain is trying to do two things at once, and failing to do either very well. A phoning driver is just about as impaired as a drunk driver.

Well...25 people are now dead because some moron had a fatal cell phone distraction on the train tracks. Others die one or two at a time on our streets and highways.

What will it take for people to get the message? I'm not a curmudgeon on this issue, just a realist. I won't quit; lives are at stake.

ONLY MORONS PHONE AND DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME. You may have the right to risk your own life, but you do not have the right to risk anyone else's.

I think the penalties for phoning and driving should be the same as those for drinking and driving. For some reason, I doubt the legislature would ever be smart enough to make that happen.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I venture to ask my question having not read your links about the "phone" studies yet...

How does phone conversation in the car contrast or relate to conversing with passengers in the car (in relation to distraction)?

Michael Rowland said...

Jenna, this is discussed briefly in the first link in my original post. Good question!

Anonymous said...

The legislation will get there.

"Preach the need for change, but never reform too much at once."